Tuesday, January 09, 2007

2006 - The Year Dreams Came True!!

Wow! 2006 was a phenomenal year in all aspects of my life. My career is still going well, and I am in my last semester of graduate studies at the University of Texas at Austin. From an athletic perspective, I used to compete in figure competitions (2003/2004, took 2005 off), but decided to venture into a new realm and wound up finding my true athletic niche (aside from fitness instruction, which is my passion)! At the end of 2006, I stepped on stage for the first time as a novice bodybuilder and took first place! My gluteal and leg development can largely be attributed to kettlebell training. I weighed in at 148.5 during the weigh-in portion of the show; that's amazing considering my weight was 171.0 when I started my competition diet. There were only 2 of us in my weight class (novice, heavy weight). The woman I was competing against was an ex-power lifter, and she weighed in at 175. I owe my success to my trainer, Jerry Malina, my nutritionist - Mike Davies - and all of my kettlebell friends (Lisa Shaffer, Anthony DiLugio, Rif, and all those on the forums who gave words of advice and encouragement).

In 2006, I took my kettlebell training to an entirely new level. I had the opportunity to work with two of the best RKCs in person (Anthony DiLugio and Lisa Shaffer). I also met alot of wonderful, experienced people on the forums and built up quite an impressive kettlebell DVD library. I no longer need my gym membership because I have everything that I need in my garage and the outdoor track during warmer weather. Thanks to all of the inspirational, encouraging people I've met over the past year. I definitely have my trainer, friends, coaches, family, and loved ones to thank for helping me achieve my fitness goals in 2006. 2007 is going to be very interesting! I'm going to try to blog more frequently.

For pictures from my show, check out: http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=02HK001V150013&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

No comments: