Saturday, September 12, 2009

Afterburn 16-week program

As you all know, I'm a big believer in keeping onesself educated, so I am always looking for material from respected industry experts like Anthony Dilugio, Alwyn Cosgrove, Rachel Cosgrove, Chad Waterbury, Joe DeFranco, Zach Even-Esh, and Craig Ballentyne. I've been in the fitness industry for over a decade, and I still love learning new things and getting new ideas.

I forgot to mention that I'm currently working on Alwyn Cosgrove's 16-week Afterburn program, in conjuction with Isabel De Los Rios' nutrition program. I've had Afterburn for a while now, but I wasn't dedicated enough to commit to a 16-week program. However, in the spirit of my last post about goals for the end of the year, I figured that completing Afterburn could be a good project for the last 4 months of the year. This is my first week, and my goodness the workouts were TOUGH! I thought that I'd breeze right through them just by reading the descriptions, that is until I realized the high rep range with heavy weights. My glutes and hammies have been sore all week - LOL. At any rate, the program is fun so far, squeezes alot of work in a short period of time, and there is enough variety to prevent boredom. It's broken down into four 4-week phases, which keeps the body guessing. I also have Alwyn's Afterburn II (12 weeks) and Warp Speed Fat Loss (4-weeks). I've done WSFL twice with good results, so I felt that I was ready for Afterburn.

I decided to use Isabel de los Rios' nutrition program entitled "The Diet Solution Program." I found out about Isabel's work from Craig Ballentyne. I bought Ballentyne's Turbulence Training program earlier this year to research, and I do incorporate some variance of the training style into my own personal workouts. At any rate, he endorsed Isabel, and I am actually quite pleased with her program thus far. I like it because it endorses a way of life-long way of eating and not a short-term diet. Of course she talks about modifying it for a specific event or time period, but the aim is so that you can achieve your nutritional goals in a healthy manner. I have been quite impressed by the literature and the done-for-you meal plans that she offers as part of the deluxe package. I'll keep you posted on how it's working, but so far, so good! I'm rarely hungry, and I've gotten back to the disciplined journaling that I followed when I was getting ready for shows. The old will power is back, and I'm excited to see it in action.

Here's to health!

No comments: