Sunday, July 03, 2011

Not So Bad...

I took a group conditioning class on Saturday, my first one in about 2 years actually. It was so nice to be the student instead of the teacher. I absolutely loved it!  Anyway, I actually caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror during the session.  I was actually NOT disgusted by what I saw. I realized that I am probably my own worst critic.  Even though I mentally thought that I was out of shape and de-conditioned, I still kept up well with the rest of the class and even exceeded most. I also realized that I still have very beautiful, full muscles. When I caught that glimpse, I didn't see what I thought I looked like in the mirror (i.e. carrying excess body fat with no visible evidence of being a consistent exerciser). Instead, I saw a strong, athletic woman...I didn't see all of the flaws that I see when I look in the mirror at home.  I had an "a-ha" moment and realized that I am my own worst critic. Yes, there are still areas that I want to improve, but the current state ain't that bad!  I know that I'll reach my other goals with consistency and dedication. I just need something from time to time to encourage me to keep going.

Anyway, I share this because if any of you deal with body image issues, realize that you are probably your own worst critic.  I encourage you to really try to look at your best features and (mentally) play to those.  Every person is beautiful, and I encourage you to find your own inner beauty and let that eminate on the outside. You will be much happier and the little things/negative thoughts will be defeated.

Anyway, I hope that eveyone is doing well and enjoying the festivities of the 4th of July holiday weekend!  I just focused on my own exercise and diet for the weekend (i.e. getting the kitchen cleaned, meals prepared, exercise routines on the books, etc). Honestly, when I'm working out and/or planning for my workouts, I feel that I'm my happiest.  The weather has been gorgeous, and all I've wanted to do is go out, enjoy the weather, soak in the sun, and just be H-A-P-P-Y!

Looking forward to tomorrow's workout.

1 comment:

RedPanda said...

Don't you love those unexpected glimpses in the mirror when you think, "Hey, I'm not looking too bad!"

Come to think of it, those unexpected glimpses are probably exactly how we appear to other people!