Saturday, November 26, 2011

Treadmill workout for Mippa

I cannot take credit for this workout. I saw it on Coach Troy's blog from earlier in November, and I thought of my friend, Mippa, who has a Treadmill at home. I often share workouts with her - either ones that I've created myself or share workouts that I've found online.  This one looks great, and I can't wait to give it a try!  Personally, I have many workout days that consist of high incline treadmill walking, especially when I am trying to get lean.  I thought Coach Troy put a really interesting twist on it.  Let me know if any of you give this one a try!

Coach Troy Jacobson's High Intensity Treadmill Workout
This workout will crank your heart rate and make you work muscles you never knew you had. It's simple, tortuous and soooo effective. Try it, but only if you have an AED nearby!

1. Set the treadmill incline at 15% grade and the speed at 3.5-4.0 mph or at a fairly comfortable pace. Walk uphill for .5 mile.

2. Raise the speed to 4.5 - 5.5 mph (Depending on your fitness) and start to 'jog' with short steps. Drive with your arms up the hill. Go for .5 miles.

3. Increase the speed to the top of your limits for .2 miles while still at 15% grade. Hang in there and don't fall of the back!

4. Decrease the grade to 6-8% and the speed to 3.5-4.0 mph and walk the final .3 miles as a cooldown.

Hop off and collapse.

The entire workout will take around 20 minutes and you cover a total of 1.5 miles. Not much for the hardcore endurance athlete, right. Wrong! Try this workout next time you're in need for a strong hit of intensity and you'll get it.

No comments: