Thursday, June 11, 2009

Did the AoS Test!

Today was my first real workout day since I returned from the AoS course in Providence this past weekend. I've had a few clients throughout the week, but mostly coached and didn't exert myself too much. At any rate, tonight I felt incredibly strong!!! I ate well today, carb loaded, and I think that's where all of my extra energy came from. I taught an extended interval-based spinning class (a little over an hour), and then I came home and was still full of energy. So, I decided to try the AoS Essentials Test. I didn't test at the seminar b/c when we tested on Sunday as I group, I was pretty tired & sore so I decided to sit it out. This was the first time I've ever done the test, and tonight I just thought, what the heck, I'm going to go for it.

I did the test with the 12kg, and it wasn't bad at all! I made it through every round pretty smoothly (with the exception of my first high pull/snatch). I wish that I would've video taped it. I realized that for me the test so far has been a mental challenge. I knew that I was so familiar with all of the moves and have done them time and time again over the past 3 years. I kept psyching myself out with having to do the entire test with the 16kg. I was smiling and talking, not really breathing that hard or panting with the 12kg. Don't get me wrong, it was physically taxing since it was all done on one side, but it wasn't any harder than the other kettlebell stuff I've done. When I felt like I was getting to the point where I needed to put the bell down, there were only about 5 seconds in each round. For me, it was easier (and shorter) than Newport...but Newport kicks my a** every single time without fail :-) I am not saying that the test was easy by any means, but it was not impossible. I'll probably be singing a different tune when I test to pass. Anyway, I think I'll try again soon with the 16kg and see how I do. The 16kg bell is my required test kettlebell size. I'm confident that with practice, I'll be able to pass the test with the 20kg.

I feel like I've accomplished two major milestones in the past 2 weeks - attending the AoS course and finally trying the test (even if it wasn't with my required weight). As I've shared with some of you, the past 2 years have been really tough for my body physically, even though I've avidly trained with kettlebells since late 2005. In 2008 my system completely crashed, and I wasn't able to do much at all. I'm still healing in many ways, so just completing the course this weekend was a major accomplishment. Kettlebell training is my passion, and I wasn't sure if my body would ever rebound and allow me to experience that training intensity again. Well, today is a new day, and I feel like I am back with a vengence.

Anyway, sorry for being long winded. It won't be long now before I pass the test with the required weight!

No comments: