Thursday, January 02, 2014

An Oldie but Goodie: Michael Olajide's Aerobox

Tonight, I revisited a classic workout in my collection - Michael Olajide Jr.'s Aerobox workout.  I first discovered Michael in 1997 when I bought Kathy Smith's Aerobox workout, in which she collaborated with Michael.


AEROBOXGiven my objectives for the first quarter of this year, I wanted to revisit my Michael collection.  I've had his Aerobox DVD for years, and I only did a short portion of it once. I think it's out of print now, but it really is a gem.  I think that his newest series, Aerobox System of Sleek, is the updated version of the program.

Aerobox packs a huge amount of work into the workout time.  The workout goes REALLY fast, and I often found myself having a hard time following the boxing sequences.  But it's perfect for a home workout since you can keep improving each time you try the workout.  There is no jump rope in this workout.  It's mostly shadow boxing (with hand weights) and simple bodyweight exercises.  The workout consists of a warm-up, 3 Rounds, a core segment, and a stretch sequence.  Each Round is about 8 minutes long.  By the end of the workout, if you're able to keep up, you will have thrown 3,326 punches.  I can't say enough good things about this workout.

After I finished the workout, I decided to write down the main boxing sequence.  I will write it on my white board the next time I take this one on to allow me to follow along. My challenge is that as he cues the workout, he calls every punch a right or left.  I need more cues to go off of because it all blends together after a while.  The workout performs the combinations sequentially at various speeds.  The hard part is when they move really fast, and you have to remember the sequence (which I am awful at doing).  I'm sure it will get easier as my body learns the routine.  I used 3lb hand weights throughout, which also made it tough!  You also vary between boxing stances, and the workout is nicely balanced on both sides of the body.  This summary is just of the punching sequences used throughout the workout.  Bold moves indicate that the punches are on the same arm.  Front/Rear are used to indicate which arm is throwing the punch, assuming an orthodox (right foot forward, left foot back) or southpaw (left foot forward, right foot back) stance.


Round 1
With Weights
Front Double Jab-Rear Cross
Front Jab-Rear Cross-Front Hook
Rear Cross-Front Jab-Rear Cross
Front Upper Cut-Rear Cross-Front Hook

Round 2
With Weights
Front Triple Jab
Rear Upper Cut-Front Hook-Rear Cross
Front Jab-Front Hook-Rear Cross
Front Body-Front Hook(Head)-Rear Cross

Round 3
With Weights, put it all together, All Fast sequencing
Front Double Jab-Rear Cross
Front Jab-Rear Cross-Front Hook
Rear Cross-Front Jab-Rear Cross
Front Upper Cut-Rear Cross-Front Hook
Front Triple Jab
Rear Upper Cut-Front Hook-Rear Cross
Front Jab-Front Hook-Rear Cross
Front Body-Front Hook(Head)-Rear Cross
 If you ever get a change to try this workout, I highly recommend it.  You won't regret it!

No comments: