Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tasty Green Lemonade

I was in a rush to prepare my mid-morning meal, which is usually just a protein shake, but I wanted to get some extra greens in today, as I had some baby spinach that I wanted to use before it went bad. So, I thought of an old fallback of green lemonade.  Gosh, it was really good today. I probably won't be able to ever create it exactly the same way again, but I did want to share it in case anyone was interested.

Fitgirl-ATX's Yummy Green Lemonade with a protein boost:
Ingredients
* 1 scoop whey protein (I used RTN's Bionic Edge Whey in Banana flavor)
* 2 handfulls of organic baby spinach (I used what was left in my container in the fridge)
* 1/4 lemon (add more or less to taste - this includes everything - skin, pith, seeds optional :-) )
* cold water (I didn't measure it, just used about 1 cup)
* ice cubes

Put all of the ingredients into Vitamix blender, in the order listed above. Blend until desired consistency is reached.

This was very refreshing. I find that in other green lemonades that I've made, I don't typically care for celery as the base. When I use kale or collard greens, I tend to have to use more apple and lemon to mask the green taste.  Cucumber, spinach, and lettuce all seem to be mild enough to be pleasing to my pallate.

I love to increase my green drinks and veggie juices during the summer months because there are so many fresh fruit and healthy, local green produce in stock at reasonable prices. Take advantage and enjoy all of the wonderful treats that nature has to offer!

No comments: