Monday, January 04, 2010

Day 2 Results: KB Swing/Snatch Challenge

Day 2: Mon, Jan 4, 2010
Well, today was pretty good...my hands were destroyed after yesterday. I taped them up, which marginally helped. I didn't get very far on snatches before my hands gave out completely. I decided not to push it so that they can heal.

Swings: I used the 16kg and took my time completing my 200 snatches. I broke it down into the following rep sequence: 50, 30, 30, 20, 30, 20, 20. It took me 14 minutes because I took really long breaks to give my hands a rest.

Snatches: I used the 16kg and got in two rounds of 10 reps/side...Then my hands died... I wasn't going to sacrifice my hands or quality reps for quantity. Speaking of which, I will now transition onto my soapbox to talk about quality reps vs. quantity for the challenge..

***getting on my soapbox now** Quality trumps quantity at all times (not just during this challenge, but with all of your training). It's not a race to get to the finish. I've allowed enough time for this to be challenging but safe. If your form/technique go at any time, put the bell down and come back to it later on. Even if that means starting at one point in the day and finishing up sometime later..or even modifying for that particular day all together. Make the attempt to complete the challenge each day, but always be smart about your training! I'd rather see you stop and avoid injury than push through and get hurt or give me sloppy reps....that isn't the point of the challenge :-) **stepping off of my soapbox now**

We'll see what tomorrow brings.....Mentally I'm ready to kill it...physically, my hands may be ready to kill me :-D So, how was Day 2 for you?

4 comments:

Anthony C said...

snatches used to WRECK my hands. the 24KG still does b/c my hand strength sucks and snatching that thing is my nemesis. BUT.. w/ the 20KG i read about "palm catching" the bell. have u heard of/seen this? it works. at the top in the lock out position, you push/throw the bell downward with your hand loosely around it and when it has moved past the point where it would actually rotate in your grip, you tighten your hand back around it. i will look for a video on it for you. it could change your life :)

Fitgirl-ATX said...

Hey bro: I tried the palm catching today, and it actually helped. It's a little hard for me to get the catch motion on my left hand, but it certainly helped the tender spots. thanks for the tip! I did find a decent video on bodybuilding.com that demonstrated the palm catch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXZBguTkvBs&feature=player_embedded. I'll post a dedicated thread with this video on the blog. Did you get your 5x5 in today?

Unknown said...

Eep! I didn't read your comment until just now! I'm about to go to bed, got cleaned up and all - but I did 200 swings, and then Billy put me through some of his old boot camp exercises to wear me down. D= He's so cruel!!

Tomorrow though, I will buckle down and actually do the full challenge since I know what's going on! 200 swings and 100 snatches! Aggh I'm not going to like this...

Fitgirl-ATX said...

Nice work, Mippa! You're doing a great job. Don't you just love the feeling of accomplishment when you get through each day of the challenge? Even if you have to modify (intentionally or unintentionally), it feels great to accomplish a goal each day. Looking forward to what the weekend will bring for you.

ROCK ON!!