Monday, March 28, 2011

Skogg 60-Day Challenge: Official Start Date Selected

Per my post about a week ago, I finally selected my official start date for the Skogg 60-day Challenge.  Since I've been sick for the past number of days (and am still not feeling my best), I plan to officially start the challenge on Mon, 4/4/2011.  The current round of Skogg participants are in their 5th week, so they're just about at the halfway point. 
To remind you of what the challenge entails, I'm reposting the details from a week ago:

Dates: Mon, 4/4/2011 - Sat, 6/4/2011 (60 days)
Overview: The 60-day challenge has both an exercise component and a nutrition component, combining clean eating and consistent exercise. 
Exercise Component: Commit to doing 4 kettlebell workouts per week (minimum), ideally using the Skogg DVDs. I have elected to include additional cardio and flexibility training into my own personal program, with perhaps a full-body circuit training day thrown in there every 1.5 weeks or so. 
Nutrition Component: The objective for the diet is to elminate all sugar, processed foods, wheat, rice, white potatoes, and alcoholic beverages, with no cheat meals during the entire 60 days.  I will also continue with 1 gallon of water per day (minimum) and a good supplementation program.  My diet is going to be approximately 1400 calories per day.

My Thoughts
The diet will no doubt be the most challenging part, and will be the part that is most imperative to success.  Since I don't usually drink, the 'no alcohol component' will not be difficult for me.  However, I have taken a strong liking to rice, bread, and sugar again, which will be harder to overcome.  Eliminating those 'comfort foods' is always the most challenging part of an eating plan for me.  However, this eating plan actually seems more balanced.  I know it sounds counter-intutive because on the surface it looks so restrictive, but at least it's not a total elimination of starch/grains, which will help keep my energy levels up.  I'll have to pay close attention b/c my caloric intake may have to adjust depending upon my activity level. I'm pretty sure that my activity level justifies at least 2100 calories per day, but I've not eaten that much food on a daily basis in a very long time.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to this challenge. I have an incredible support system in place, and I feel strong enough to see it through this time.  After all, it's only 60 days, and my body, mind, and spirit will really appreciate the consistency. (Note: I have a nutrition coach helping me with my diet this time around, which is why I know that it has variety.  I won't reveal who I'm working with until the end of my challenge. If I don't get the results that I want, I don't want it to be a reflection on this person.  After all, the execution of the eating plan is all up to me.)

Let's see how I do....I can only take it one week at a time and do my best :-). I've given my word that I'll commit to it, which means that there is no turning back now!

No comments: