Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A Bike Ride and Bikram Yoga

5:30-6:30PM - Tonight, I rode my bike for 50 minutes on the road. I burned about 500 calories and explored a closeby neighborhood. I wanted to ride longer, but I was in a rush to get home and shower/change for Bikram Yoga. I wore my cycling shoes and didn't fall off my bike today :-) I also was able to relatively comfortably navigate through traffic without getting too scared. I was in a neighborhood that was deep in the canyons, so I encountered some major hills on my journey today. They were so steep that at parts, I had to dismount my bike and walk it until I reached a point where I felt comfortable getting back on. My fear is that I'll have to climb some steep hill, will be wearing my cycling shoes, will not generate enough force to turn the wheels, and fall over. Not to mention that I've mostly been riding on flats to get used to my bike, and this was my first real venture into hilly territory. I'll build up to it slowly :-)

7:00-8:30PM - I went to Bikram Yoga class tonight, and I am so glad that I did. My body and muscles are really tight. It's been about a year since I did Bikram, so my body isn't really used to it anymore. I'm going to try to get 3-4 sessions in per week for the next month, in addition to the rest of my training. I am horrible about doing any type of dedicated stretching on my own, and it's starting to catch up with me. I usually stretch after I workout, but I really need to get better about devoting sessions (45-60 mins) strictly to stretching. My body will thank me for it one day, and I know it will do wonders for the stress I endure throughout the day (and the long hours hunched over a computer). Overall, I had a nice workout. I'm looking forward to tomrrow, and I'm definitely going to sleep well.

No comments: